Europe’s Rivers & Castles
3 nights in Paris, an enchanting 7-night cruise from Luxembourg to Nuremberg, plus 2 nights in Prague
September 5 – 17, 2016
Begin your vacation in Paris before taking a high-speed TGV train into Luxembourg, where you will board your ship. Visit Trier, the oldest city in Germany, and continue through the Mosel River Valley, admiring its steep hillsides sheathed in endless vineyards. Visit the German villages of Bernkastel and Cochen and experience the dramatic scenery of the Rhine River Gorge, dotted with picturesque fortresses and castle ruins. Along the Main River, stop at medieval towns before cruising through the Main-Danube Canal to historic Nuremberg. Conclude your journey with two nights in beautiful Prague.
• 3 nights hotel in Paris at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse (or similar), including daily buffet breakfast and local taxes
• Transfer to the high-speed TGV train to Luxembourg, followed by transfer to ship
• 7 nights deluxe cruise accommodation in an outside stateroom, most with French balconies
• Life enriching tours and excursions daily
• Limited Edition Tours
• Entertainment on demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed Internet access, hit Hollywood movies, extensive music library and English language TV stations
• Complimentary Wi-Fi access on board
• Terry bathrobes and white-on-white plush bedding
• Fine dining with all meals included during your cruise
• Unlimited red & white wines from Europe’s great wine regions, beer & soft drinks with every lunch and dinner on board
• Bottled water in every stateroom replenished daily
• Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner & Captain’s Gala Dinner
• Transfer to the hotel in Prague
• 2 nights hotel in Prague at the InterContinental or Hilton Old Town (or similar), including daily buffet breakfast and local taxes
• Special highlights including lectures, cooking demonstration, onboard music performances and piano music
• Bicycles to explore on your own & guided bicycle tours
• Services of professional Cruise Manager
• All English language on board in a non-smoking environment (smoking permitted only on the Sun Deck)
• Transfers between hotel and ship are included with the purchase of cruise and land package; airport transfers are included with the purchase of airfare from AmaWaterways
Day 1 ARRIVE PARIS, FRANCE
Arrive in Paris and check-in to your hotel. The remainder of the day is at your leisure.
Day 2 PARIS
Enjoy Paris’ famous sights during your morning guided tour. Visit Notre Dame Cathedral, see the Louvre Museum, Arc de Triomphe, Paris Opéra, Madeleine church, Champs Elysées and much more. The remainder of the day is yours to explore on your own. In the evening there is an optional “Parisian Cabaret Dinner Show,” one of the most popular attractions the city offers. (B)
Day 3 PARIS
Enjoy a free day to explore the romantic “City of Light.” Stroll along the Champs Elysées, lined with boutiques and cafes, or go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, built for the 1889 World’s Fair. Tonight, an optional “Montmartre & Illuminations” is also available to give you a sense of Paris after dark. (B)
Day 4 PARIS – LUXEMBOURG – EMBARKATION
Bid au revoir to Paris as you board your TGV high-speed train to Metz, then transfer to Luxembourg, one of Europe’s last independent duchies. You will have a guided walking tour of Luxembourg and stop at the American Cemetery and Memorial, the final resting place of Gen. George Patton, before boarding the ship. Tonight, gather on board for a Welcome Dinner. The ship departs very late tonight for Germany. (B,D)
Day 5 TRIER – BERNKASTEL
After breakfast, a guided walking tour of Trier, Germany’s oldest city, will introduce you to its rich Roman past. You will see the Roman Baths, Trier Cathedral, Basilica of Constantine and the Porta Nigra gate that dates back to 180
A.D. Continue on to Bernkastel, strategically located in the middle of the Mosel wine-producing region, an area that’s been cultivating wine for over 500 years. A guided walking tour through the old town center this afternoon will take you past many medieval and Renaissance buildings. You will also enjoy a winery visit to sample several different regional vintages. The ship departs later this evening and cruises overnight. (B,L,D)
Day 6 COCHEM – KOBLENZ – RHINE RIVER GORGE – RÜDESHEIM
Today, enjoy a guided tour of Cochem that takes you to the spectacular hilltop Reichsburg Castle, offering fantastic views of the river valley below. Or, opt to take a walking tour of Koblenz and explore its charming town square and quaint shops. Return to the ship for a scenic afternoon cruise along the most beautiful stretch of the Rhine, with castle ruins, fortresses and the legendary Lorelei Rock. We arrive in Rüdesheim this evening and visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum. The ship moors overnight in Rüdesheim. (B,L,D)
Day 7 MAINZ – HEIDELBERG
The ship departs Rüdesheim this morning and cruises to beautiful Mainz, arriving after lunch. Your guided walking tour includes a visit to the Gutenberg Museum, home to two copies of the world’s first printed Bible and centuries-old manuscripts and printing presses. Alternatively, travel by motor coach to Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university town. You will visit the red-walled castle and see its Great Vat (a 49,000-gallon 18th-century wine cask), and also enjoy gorgeous views of the Neckar Valley and city below. Later this afternoon, the ship departs Mainz and cruises overnight to Wertheim. (B,L,D)
Day 8 WERTHEIM
Welcome to Wertheim, a quaint German town known for its intricate glassworks and charming medieval architecture. Enjoy a guided tour of the city followed by free time to explore on your own afterwards. Reboard your ship this evening and cruise overnight to Würzburg. (B,L,D)
Day 9 WÜRZBURG – KITZINGEN
Head off on a guided tour of Würzburg’s major sights this morning, or visit the Residenz Palace and gardens, a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Europe’s best examples of Baroque architecture. This afternoon, you may take an optional excursion to medieval Rothenburg for a walking tour and free time to explore on your own. A famous shop completely dedicated to Christmas is located here, offering handmade ornaments, nutcrackers and other seasonal wares. If you prefer to relax in the afternoon, choose to remain on board as the ship cruises to Kitzingen. This evening the town’s Historic Court Council and honorary Wine Queen will escort you to Germany’s oldest wine cellar to sample regional wines. Later tonight, the ship sails towards Bamberg. (B,L,D)
Day 10 BAMBERG
After arriving this afternoon in enchanting Bamberg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you’ll have a guided walking tour of this medieval gem. Admire the town’s breathtaking cathedral, the Old Town Hall that straddles the river, and the serpentine streets lined with lovely houses and 18th-century mansions. You will also sample some of Bamberg’s famous smoked beer. This evening, we cruise to Nuremberg. (B,L,D)
Day 11 NUREMBERG – DISEMBARKATION – PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
After breakfast, you will leave the ship and take a guided tour of historic Nuremberg. You will see Gothic churches, the zeppelin field where Hitler held his infamous Nazi Party Rallies, and the Justice Palace courtroom where the War Crimes Tribunal sat in 1946. You will also have some free time on your own before transferring to Prague. (B)
Day 12 PRAGUE
After your morning sightseeing tour, you’ll see why Prague is considered one of Europe’s most attractive cities. Visit the 1,000 year-old Prague Castle and St. Vitus before crossing the famous Charles Bridge to the Old Market Square. The balance of the day is yours to spend as you wish. This evening, an optional “Folklore Dinner Show” provides an opportunity to learn about Czech music, dance and traditions. (B)
Day 13 DEPART PRAGUE
Bid farewell to Prague and prepare for your homeward flight. (B)
The custom-designed AmaDante was introduced in 2008 and features spacious staterooms ranging in size from 170-255 sq. ft. most with French balconies. All staterooms include plush down bedding, complimentary bottled water, terry robes and slippers, marble- appointed bathrooms, complimentary high-speed Internet access and first-run Hollywood movies. The Main Lounge is the perfect setting for group gatherings and nightly entertainment. And the AmaDante’s
Sun Deck and inviting whirlpool provide incredible views of Europe’s legendary rivers.
• Sundeck with lounge chairs offering unimpeded panoramic views
• Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the vessel
• 24-hour specialty coffee and tea station
• Main Lounge with bar, piano and dance floor
• Whirlpool and Walking track
• Fitness Room and Sauna
• Massage and Hair Salon
• Bicycles onboard
• Gift Shop
• Elevator (reaches Main Restaurant, Lobby/Main Lounge and staterooms on Violin and Cello Deck)
SMALL GROUP EXCURSIONS:
Set your own pace on shore excursions. Enjoy the full attention of your guide. AmaWaterways ensures that you’re treated with personalized attention, on land as well as on the river. Our complimentary Small Group Shore Excursions provide a world-class land tour in every destination. We hire the top local guides in every location. We’re confident that you’ll find no more intensive and immersive introduction to the culture and heritage of the region you’re visiting. We offer a “Gentle Walkers” group, for those who’d like to explore at a more leisurely pace. Wherever possible, we offer an “Active Walkers” group, for those interested in covering more ground, and a “Late Starter” group for those who prefer to sleep in.
AmaWaterways originated the concept of putting bicycles aboard river cruise ships in Europe. The idea sprung from the fact that so many of Europe’s rivers are lined with paths that are perfect for pedaling. We’re the only river cruise line that carries more than two dozen bicycles and plenty of safety helmets that are free for you to use. The bicycles give you the freedom to venture out and explore the riverside bikeways. Or, meander through quaint cobblestone streets. The bikes are set up and ready for use as soon as the ship docks.
As you sail through Europe’s most beautiful and tranquil scenery, why not take the opportunity to pamper yourself? We have an expert hair stylist, masseuse and beauty therapist at your disposal for the duration of the cruise. Nestled in a peaceful corner of the ship, next to a well equipped Fitness Center, our Massage, Beauty and Hair Salon offers a variety of treatments using only the finest products available. Pamper your body and rejuvenate your spirit while you’re on board with AmaWaterways.
Gourmet dining on the AmaDante restaurant brings you sophisticated and outstanding cuisine with delightful, attentive service. The fine regional cuisine is prepared under the direction of gold medal-winning chefs from Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. Savor culinary masterpieces and free-flowing local wines at dinner, while surrounded by Europe’s heartland.
• All outside staterooms with French Balconies or Fixed Windows at 170 sq. ft.
• All staterooms have AmaWaterways’ exclusive Infotainment system, including complimentary Internet access, first run Hollywood movies and music library
• Flat-screen Televisions with local and satellite channels
• In room safe, hair dryer, ample closet space and direct dial telephone
• Hotel-style white on white, plush bedding and terry bathrobes
• Complimentary bottled water replenished daily
• Individually controlled air-conditioning
• Our extra spacious Jr. Suites are 255 sq. ft. with French Balconies and Floor-to-ceiling Windows
• Suites have an enhanced sitting area with couch, mini bar and large bathroom with separate bathtub
For pricing, options, registration form, travel protection plan, and cancellation information, see registration form: 2016 Europe Trip Information
If you have any questions please contact Kissy Gordon at 804 359-3217 x 321 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stella Capocelli Carter at 804 359-3217 x 310 (email@example.com).
Space is very limited for this sailing. Please complete and return forms (see link above) to Tour Plan International, Ltd. via fax at 804.353.2947, via email to either of the email addresses above or by mailing to 4915 Fitzhugh Avenue, Richmond, VA 23230.